Root canal treatment or Endodontic Therapy is a sequence of treatment for the pulp of a tooth which has disease or inflammation. In other words, when a tooth abscesses or has a pulp (nerve) exposure due to decay or trauma. In this way we are able to keep the tooth in the mouth and be saved. The other alternative in this case is to remove the tooth.
Once we clean out the diseased part of the root we are able to fill it with an inert material, namely Gutta Percha, to reduce the risk of infection. Finally the tooth is sealed, usually with a crown.
ONE-VISIT ROOT CANALS:
At Serenity Dental our highly trained staff will do everything possible to make this procedure as comfortable as possible. Using motorized rotary instruments, our root canals are fast and pain free. With the advent of CAD – CAM Technology our in-house Lab will ensure a crown on the tooth the same day, decreasing the number of visits to the dentist.
WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF A TOOTH REQUIRING ROOT CANAL THERAPY?
- When one has hot and cold foods, there moderate to severe lingering toothache, which may be throbbing;
- Severe intense pain – toothache – that wakes you up at night;
- Pain when chewing or biting;
- Swelling on the gum which when pressed may release blood or pus;
- Referred pain to head, ear or adjacent or opposing teeth, i.e. pain starts in one tooth & spreads to other regions of the jaw. E.g. infected lower molar can refer pain to the ear.
NB: Some times in cases of chronic low grade infections no symptoms maybe experienced.
For fast pain free roof canal treatments call Serenity Dental Now! Call us at any one of our Centres to schedule a time at Blairgowrie (servicing Jhb. North) 011 326 0938 or Bedfordview (servicing Jhb. East and Jhb. South) 011 615 9352 (located close to the airport) Johannesburg South Africa.